Last week we made some skewers on our Gas Barbeque. Skewers are very fast to cook although there are some tricks involved for perfect success.
- We got a mix of chicken and pork meat. Chicken and Pork needs to be cooked well done, it is not like Beef that you can taste almost raw
- The good thing is that since the slices on the skewer are thin, this wont take a lot of time
- I grilled them for about 15 minutes with the lid closed for most of the time
- I preheated the BBQ at 250 degrees Celcius with the gas turned to max and then lowered all switches to the lowest level to put the meat on the grates
- I had to cook them at indirect heat at some points, because the juices from the meat caused a lot of flames in the BBQ and I did not want to burn them. So what I did was turn of 1/3 gas tubes and cook the skewers above the tube that was turned of with the heat of the other 2 ones
- Lessons learned: next time I will use metal skewers
- I will also to get a special grate for skewers because the way I put them directly on the cast iron grates, made it difficult to handle as lots of meat slices fell apart